Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An unexpected Inukshuk!

 
Last saturday I decided to explore the park and shoreline by lake Ontario. It was a good 'photography' day since the sky was gray but it was also a little chilly. To my surprise, as I walked back from the warf, I spotted these stone sculptures! Someone must have had some fun over the week end because these sculptures were not there the last time I visited.

I quickened my pace eager to see them up close. What a delightful gift! Who made these beautiful Inukshuks? The larger one was about 2 feet high and the smaller one had some red coloured stones. Their surface was smooth and various shades of grey. Both looked amazing as they sat there serenely overlooking the park and the lake. I took several pictures of the gift someone left behind.

For those of you who are not familiar with Inukshuks - They are stone landmarks built by humans and used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalallit, Yupic, and other peoples of the Artic region in North America. They are found between Alaska and Greenland, and may have been used for navigational and herding purpose. Inukshuks are considered to be sacred and must never be destroyed. It makes sense that a structure which assists your survival would have its sacred place in a culture.
So what was this Inukshuk telling me? I felt that someone had creatively and gently let me know that they had been there. They didn't mark their presence through grafitti or destruction but instead took the time to use what nature had provided to let me and others know that they had come by.
I wasn't the only person who noticed them. Everyone eventually came by, looked at them with curiosity, and left with a warm smile. Thank you, whoever you are, for adding spark to my day!

1 comment:

  1. Next time you visit we must take hikes on 'Maison E' grounds and look for the 4 Inukshuks that protect the community from all sides.

    ReplyDelete