Thursday, May 26, 2011

An experiment with the abstract

Another rainy day ... but this time I was prepared. I had a bunch of photography experiments I wanted to try based on a photography magazine article I read. These experiments involved the use of crystals, water, food colour, and oils. 



I first played around with my crystal butterfly to see which kind of lighting would produce the most colourful reflections. As it turns out, a light underneath a decorative piece of glass produced the most amazing colours. A 'real' butterfly would surely be flattered to have so many sparkling colours! Then I moved on to the Pierrot. This time, I tried to focus on simplicity and create some sort of outline instead of trying to make it as colourful as possible. He looks icy and crisp.


Next came the experiment with water and food colour. I used a rectabular vase that was rather narrow so that the colour would have less horizontal space to spread out in. I think the vase glass is a bit too thick since it was very difficult to obtain a sharp focus. Nevertheless, the effect turned out very interesting.





I subsequently change my colour combination and found that shades or yellow, green, blue, and red worked better in terms of focus/clarity. I think it's because overall the water was of a lighter colour and the backlight came through better.



Then I experimented with water and oil. I used a shallow glass pie plate, partially filled it with water, and added two2 different kinds of oils, sunflower and olive, since they have a slightly different colour. I put an abstract painting under the glass dish to use as background colour (which I could could also move around).  I took several pictures but the best effect occured once I stirred up the water oil mixture causing more bubbles. Eventually it all began to look like some life form ...





Believe it or not, I took about 200 pictures! Not only of water and oils but also of fruits, flowers, and other small objects. I would say that only about 10 of them are worth keeping since I make a point of changing aperture, ISO, and shutter speed to see which combination produces what result. So far, the learning process has been a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment