Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away ... and don't even bother coming back another day!



I have been complaining about this weather because it's just so dull when I can't go out as much as I'd like ... especially after being cooped up for a long winter season. But ... I have to admit that everything is beautifully lush green. Spring took its time and uncovered itself slowly which is rare for us. Normally the trees fill in within a couple of days and the blooms all come in at once and disapear just as quickly. This year everything happened in slow motion and we've been able to enjoy it for a longer period of time. I'm sure the level of enjoyment was directly proportional to the delay.



The nice thing about having an overcast sky is that the light is difused and renders softer pictures. Everything is slightly muted without the harsh light and shadow contrast that accompanies a bright sunny day. Droplets of water a facinating to observe. They gather randomly, sometimes join, and sometimes join so much that they eventually fall off due to their weight. It's a little messier to photograph under these circumstances since I never think of bringing a pad or something to protect my knees from the wet grass. Taking on odd positions to capture a special moment involves getting close to the ground.



I'll continue to complain about the rain only because we've truly had our fill of it but I'm also grateful for the opprtunities it has provided. It basically forced me to find alternative ways of amusing myself and see things that I normally would not have paid any attention to. My surroundings are kept fresh and green. It feels nice when I drive around my neighborhood and see these different shades of green that mother nature is feeding on a daily basis with this abundance of water. It won't be long before the summer heat begins to brown our lawns and dry up our flower beds, and then we will have to take care of the watering ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment