Thursday, May 5, 2011

Renmants of fall while waiting for spring

Renmants of Fall against a window

I noticed some leftover fall leaves dangling from a tree as I walked by Oakville's Erchless Estate. The leaves rustled gently in the wind reminding me that spring was late. Flowers barely showed their colours and leaf buds were still shut tight. A window caught my attention as I looked at the brown dried leaves, and I wondered how many people have stood at this window waiting for spring.

The Chisholms, Oakville's founding family, built Erchless Estate in 1858. I was named after the Chisholm's clan seat in Scotland and six generations have lived in this home over a period of 130 years before it became one of Oakville's heritage homes (now a museum). The Chisholms married into the Kerr family and it was Robert Kerr that extensively renovated the estate by adding gardens, tennis courst, cottages, stables, and a carriage path. The main house was converted into apartments in the 1960's and the Town of Oakville purchased the property in the late 1970's.

I toured the Erchless Estate a couple of years ago. The Town has done a wonderful job at restoring it and many rooms are decorated with period pieces. To my surprise, I found out that Oakville took part in the Underground Railroad as a gateway to Canada for many African Americans as early as the 1830's.  William Chisholm purchased the land in 1827 and Oakville became an official Port of Entry into Canada in 1834. Ships from Oakville sailed throughout the Great Lakes and many ship captains assisted African American slaves by hiding them as stowaways.

One slave in particular, James W. Hill, remained in Oakville and led an estimated 700-800 African Americans back to Oakville through the Underground Railroad (via Maryland). His reputation as a 'conductor' resulted in a price being put on his head and he was wanted 'dead or alive' by the US government. Some African Americans settled in Oakville but many went to larger cities for better economic opportunities. Hill remained here, built a house on Maplegrove drive (it is still there), and his extensive strawberry fields helped to make Oakville the one time strawberry capital of Canada.

I can't imagine 6 generations living in one  home when I've lived in at least 17 homes during my one life! Nor can I imagine streets named after me although we do have a Patricia street in Oakville.  Finding tidbits of information and hearing stories that I could not imagine would happen here add a warm dimension to the town I've adopted as my home. Like so many towns and cities, Oakville has changed and evolved but once in a while I am reminded of the 'simple' life that used to flourish here. It's a good thing that Oakville cherishes its heritage homes because they provide us with a window to our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment