Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sometimes progress isn't so progressive



We are all too familiar with progress. In fact, I think many of us have an ambiguous relationship with it. On one hand it has helped mankind by changing, enhancing, and modernizing what is familiar and on the  other hand it has taken away the familiar that we are attached to.

I have always been attracted to the old town charm of my town, and it's what makes it so special to me. I understand that people want nice large modern homes but I find it difficult to accept when they are built within the older areas and round up changing the landscape in an unflatering way. Some people build what I consider 'appropriate' homes and others build 'monster' homes as they take advantage and even push all our bylaws. It's not for me to judge since it is the town that is allowing these changes but it does influence how I feel about my town and whether I will remain here.

A sad example of our progress is this beautiful huge magnolia tree that will most likely be torn down. It's located west of the 'trendy' downtown and is part of the older area that was less affluent. People have been buying homes and either demolishing or refacing them over the last few years.  Businesses have also rebuilt storefronts and we now have more 'trendy' stores to visit even though this new area seems to lack some charm. This tree happens to be located on the property where old stores have been sold in order to build new stores.

This magnolia tree has been there since who knows when and it's always been a cherished sight for me. I remember the first time I drove by. Its mere size was a sight to see let alone that it was covered in flowers. Since then, Every spring I make a point to drive by and admire its beauty. By themselves, magnolia trees are simply breathtaking. There is a certain 'lightness' that emmanates from a magnolia tree. They simply stand out, covered in white, pink, or fushia flowers that look like birds' wings, as they confirm Spring's arrival. Unfortunately, the flowers don't last very long and are often a nuisance once they fall on the ground. It's a small price to pay when you consider what you are getting in return. So, as to progress ... Spring just won't be the same next year...  




No comments:

Post a Comment