Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rhododendrons ...


I went for a walk with my walking group last sunday and decided to drop into the rhododendron park nearby. What a sight! The rhodos were all in full bloom and the colours were remarkable!

Everyone seemed to walk around with a smile on their face even though it was an overcast day. Was the sight of all these beautiful, delicate, and colourful flowers transforming out mood? I think so.

There were so many colours - white, pink, pink and white, fushia, purple, mauve, and yellow. Some were slightly beyond their prime and others were just coming out. Most of the bushes were covered in flowers in full display for all to see.

The word rhododendron comes from Greek meaning rose tree. Technically these woody plants include azelas. They prefer well drained acid soils (a bit similar to orchids), and don't require full sunlight. I don't know how long this park has been open but some plants were quite large.


Below are pictures depicting a nice sampling of the colours. What surprised me the most was that many pistils seemed to be either silver or gold at the ends. It nearly made the flower look fake as it seemed to perfect.











I can't imagine what it would be like to have one's own garden full of these plants. I'd have to drag my PC outside each morning and sip my tea while I admired my flowers. The colourful display would add another layer of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment