Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Irises are here!



The Irises are out! What lovely flowers!







Who would think
that such a lovely flower
would develop
from this asparagus looking plant?

It also amazes me as how quickly they show up.

One day there is a bud and the next day there's a flower! They are light and intricate just like an orchid except they don't last as long.




Irises come in many colours. Their name is derived from Greek meaning rainbow (because the various varieties are so colourful). I'm more familiar with blue, purple, yellow, and white irises since they grow well where I live. I don't have any in my garden but I still get to see them often since many people favour them.




I believe it was Van Gogh that did them justice in his painting. He painted them the year prior to his death when he lived in an asylum in Saint-Remy-de-Provence. The first owner paid 300 francs for it (I wonder what 300 francs could buy in 1890) and the painting last sold for 53.9 million in 1987! The Irises painting was listed as the tenth most expensive painting in 2010 (taking inflation into account).  It's rather sad to think how so many artists can barely make ends meet while they paint yet generate so much interest and profit long after their death.


No comments:

Post a Comment